Saturday, January 2, 2010

Liar, liar!

On our first full day here in Germany, we ran into tons of Denglish, which is English used in Germany to seem cool and market to Germans which often has little to do with actual English.

Laurie, can you remember what Esprit used to have on its window in Duesseldorf? Something to the effect of "The planet is my world." Or these beauties from Tchibo: baking mitts that say "Eat & Style" on them. Colonia Insurance has this ad with the slogan "The future. Together. Now." Umm, all right. I get it, you speak the English. Sort of.

Usually it makes me chuckle or scratch my head, but this one case was different. We were in a cafe, and I ordered a Latte Macchiato and found the following on my plate.
Yay! Cookies, right? How great is that? Plural cookies!
And I opened it up, and there was one single individual lonely cookie inside.
The German word for cookie is "Keks" which obviously means that the Germans prefer their word for cookie to look plural, even if there is only one actually inside. But does no one think of the poor folks right off a long plane ride who speak better English than Denglish? We all just got cheated out of at least one cookie!
I might have to call the Better Business Bureau on them. It is probably called the Better Business Buero here.
(And yes, the cookie was delicious, and I have indeed heard the story about not looking a gift horse in the mouth)


1 comment:

  1. Yes, there's no such thing as a single "Kek" so why would there be a single "cookie"?? Check out www.engrish.com for even funnier usages of English abroad...

    ReplyDelete